Amazon announces a smorgasbord of new Alexa devices and features
Amazon today made a surprise announcement–likely because of previous leaks–and boy, did they bring Christmas early to anyone that’s a fan of Alexa powered or compatible smart devices.
Here’s the round-up of what was revealed.
- Amazon’s new Echo Dot and Echo Plus come with more style than before – improved sound quality and aesthetics.
- Amazon is turning the Echo into a security system – Alexa Guard will listen for broken glass or a smoke detector while you are out of the house and alert your phone! It can then even turn on the lights too!
- The new Ring Stick Up Cam works with Ring Alarm security system – it can be used indoors or outside, comes in black and white and will be able to work alongside the Ring Alarm security system when used indoors.
- Echo Auto brings Alexa to cars – the device is a small dongle that plugs into the car’s infotainment system, giving drivers the smart assistant and voice control for hands-free interactions.
- Amazon Fire TV Recast: The Amazon DVR is real, and starts at $230 – connect to your antenna and it will stream the live and recorded video to Fire TV devices, the Echo Show, Fire tablets and mobile devices.
- Amazon intros a new Echo Show with built-in smart home hub – it even gets a 10″ screen, double the size!
- Amazon’s microwave works with Alexa, automatically reorders popcorn – just $60 and works with any existing Amazon Echo.
- Amazon announces $25 smart plug that lets you control appliances with Alexa – finally they launch a smart plug outlet!
- Amazon Echo Sub arrives to beef up your Alexa speakers – you can easily pair the Echo Sub with two other compatible Echo devices to achieve a 2.1 stereo sound experience.
- Amazon’s Echo Input adds Alexa to any speaker – a small new device that you can plug into any existing speaker to turn it into an Echo!
- There’s even an Alexa-enabled Amazon wall clock – it connects to nearby Echo devices via Bluetooth to track timers, reminders and alarms, and keep your home in the correct timezone.
- Alexa learns how to whisper – when whispered to, the assistant will whisper back at the user and play a quiet song at a quiet volume.
Phew! That’s a lot! What jumps out to you?